Pick The Perfect Pant: 8120 Ski Pants vs. Top Step Ski Pants
While our pant lineup is rather tight compared to most brands out there, we get a significant amount of questions regarding fit and function. As former ski racers designing and developing ski pants, we identified three pillars and ingredients to build the greatest ski pants on the market.
- Function - Ski racers require very specific needs in a ski pant. Most importantly, a side zip function.
- Fit - Skiers are athletes. Period. When you ski 100+ days a year, you develop some serious leg strength, second to few athletes in the world. So that requires building in some extra room in our ski pants, especially in the thighs, glutes, and quads. Now you don't have to be sorry you hit the gym so hard in the Fall.
- Durability - Last but not least, durability. Arguably the most important aspect of ski pants. All SYNC pants are designed with purpose by sourcing high-quality materials from revered suppliers across the world. We use the best in the game when it comes to manufacturing and production so that when you get to race hill, you aren't worried about your ski pants blowing up.
The two pairs of pants in our quiver can occasionally cause some confusion when it comes to fit and features, the 8120 Pant Collection and the Top Step Pant Collection. While these pants hold some similarities, they are not to be mixed up. So let's break it down and you can make the call which pants fit your needs best.
8120 Ski Pant Collection
The 8120 Ski Pant came about when a certain athlete challenged us to build the most bomber, feature-oriented, insulated ski pants we could. In our opinion, this pant is completely over-built. Premium insulation, high-quality zippers, fabric that will stand the test of time, multiple venting options, and an insanely large scuff guard make up our favorite ski pants of all time. We get more complaints of being too hot than too cold in this pant, which is why we designed it with inside thigh and outside two way zipped side zip function that doubles as a vent.
Top Step Ski Pant Collection
The Top Step Ski Pant Collection is the stripped-down version of the 8120 Pant. While we kept the 3 pillars in mind while building the Top Step Pant, we realized that not everyone needs a $400+ pant. So we reduced some of the features, like the exterior cargo pockets on the front. Instead of 5 on the 8120, we have 1 cargo pocket and 2 handwarmer pockets. The insulation is still high-quality Primaloft insulation, but a slightly lower Clo value, so the Top Step will feel slightly colder on the sub-zero days. Zippers are something we never skimp on, so we continue to use quality YKK Zippers in the Top Step Pant, just like the 8120 ski pants. If you want a pant to perform it's function to the maximum with no frills, the Top Step Ski Pant is the way to go.
8120 Ski Pant vs. Top Step Ski Pant
- Skier build fit - slightly extra room in the hips, glutes, and thighs
- "Top Step" proprietary technology - 3/4 side zips to step through the top without having to deal with finicky zippers
- Waist adjustment tabs
- Handwarmer pockets and thigh pockets
- High-quality Primaloft insulation
- 200-hour dyestuff
- Critically Taped Seams
- Snow cuff
8120 Side Zip Ski Pant
- 20k/20k waterproof and breathable DWR with 3 layer shell technology
- 4-way stretch fabric
- 3/4 exposed YKK Aquaguard waterproof zippers
- Inner thigh ventilation
- SuperFabric Scuff Guard
- Two additional thigh pockets for additional storage
Top Step Side Ski Pant
- 10k/10k waterproof breathable DWR
- 2-way stretch fabric
- 3/4 covered waterproof YKK zipper
- Cordura Scuff Guard