Snack Ideas To Sustain A Great Training Session
Pumpkin Breakfast Muffins/Bars
Recipe courtesy of plantyou
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder or fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups oat flour (can make your own by food processing regular oats)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-1.5 cup frozen berries of choice (I use blueberries) (optional- these aren't in the original recipe but I think they're a great addition)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients. Personally, I use a food processor to blend the banana and oats and then fold in the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl. If you don't have a food processor, buy store bought oat flour and mash the banana by hand. Pour into glass pan or muffin tins and bake 20-25 min (~20 min for muffins and ~25 min for sheet cake). Test with toothpick to see if it comes out clean. Can store in the refrigerator for up to a week and freezer for up to a month.
Serve plain or with a topping of peanut or nut butter to keep you full for hours!
Photo credit: Plant You (original photo here)
PB&J Energy Balls
Recipe courtesy of Choosing Chia
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 15)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or nut butter of your choice (chunky or smooth)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Jam or jelly of your choice for center (I use raspberry jam)
1. Add 1 tsp dollops of jam to a parchment lined backing sheet and place in freezer for 2 hours.
2. Add all other ingredients to a food processor and combine. Add another date or two if mixture is not sticky when combined.
3. Scoop mixture with hands to form a disk (this recipe makes about 12-15 balls) then place a frozen jam dollop in the center and fold the date mixture around the jam and roll into a ball. Repeat for all 12-15 energy balls.
4. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Photo credit: Choosing Chia (original photo here)
No-Bake Chocolate Tahini Oat Bars
- 3/4 cup tahini (room temp)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp raw coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs (for topping)
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted white and black sesame seeds (for topping)
- flaky sea salt - optional (for topping)
See how to make and assemble the bars here.
Photo credit: Kale & Caramel (original photo here)
We'd love to hear about your favorite on-hill snacks! Comment on this post or email us at email@example.com and we'll add your recipe to this blog post!